Whether you are a homeowner looking to replace your roof or a contractor looking for the best material for the job, you will want to know about the different roofing materials available. According to Durham Roofer, here are five of the most popular roofing materials on the market today.
1) Asphalt Shingles: Asphalt shingles are a type of roofing material made from asphalt-coated fiberglass. They are one of the most popular types of roofing material due to their affordability and durability. Asphalt shingles are available in various colors, styles, and sizes to suit any home.
- Pros: Asphalt shingles are affordable, easy to install, and come in various colors and styles.
- Cons: They are not as durable as other roofing materials and can be damaged by high winds or hail.
2) Metal Roofs: A metal roof is a roofing system made from metal pieces or tiles. It is a component of the building envelope. Metal roofs are also used on commercial buildings. They are sometimes used on residences but are much more common on commercial structures. A metal roof comprises several layers, with the outermost layer being the finished product you see. Metal roofs can be made from various metals, including steel, aluminum, copper, and tin. They can also be coated with different materials to give them different finishes.
- Pros: Metal roofs are long-lasting, durable, and fire-resistant. They come in a variety of colors and styles.
- Cons: Metal roofs can be expensive to install and may be noisy during rainstorms or hailstorms.
3) Tile Roofing: Tile roofing is a popular choice for homeowners who want a roof that will last for many years. Tile roofing is available in various colors and styles, so you can find a look that fits your home. Tile roofing is also fire-resistant and easy to maintain.
- Pros: Tile roofing is long-lasting, durable, and fire-resistant. It is available in a variety of colors and styles.
- Cons: Tile roofing can be expensive to install and may be difficult to repair if damaged.
4) Wood Shingles: Wood shingles are roofing material used for centuries. Also known as shakes, they are made from split logs or sawn lumber and can provide a beautiful, natural look for your home. Wood shingles are also one of the most durable roofing materials, with an expected lifespan of 30-50 years.
- Pros: Wood shingles are easy to install and relatively affordable. They are also available in a variety of colors and styles.
- Cons: Wood shingles can be susceptible to fire and rot and may require more maintenance than other roofing materials.
5) Slate Roofing: Slate roofing is a type of roofing that uses slate tiles to create a waterproof barrier. Slate is a natural stone that has been used for roofing for centuries. It is highly durable and resistant to fire, making it an ideal choice for homes in fire-prone areas.
- Pros: Consider slate roofing if you’re looking for a roofing material that will last for many years. Slate roofing is available in various colors and styles, so you can find a look that fits your home. Slate roofing is also fire-resistant and easy to maintain.
- Cons: Slate roofing is a bit more expensive than other roofing materials. In addition, slate roofing may be damaged by high winds or hail.
Whatever material you choose for your roof, consult with a professional Durham Roofer to get the best results. A roof is a significant investment, so you want to ensure it’s done right. We hope this guide has helped you learn about some of the most popular roofing materials on the market. Thanks for reading!